31 January 2008

flea market friends


tuesdays and fridays are easily my favorite days of the week - why? you ask...well because tuesdays and fridays are the days when my local flea market gets into full swing. beginning at 7am (i'm usually there bright and early) various vendors start setting up and the old-timer's gather in the food hall to get warmed up with scrumptious amish-made sandwiches and pastries. i usually run into the food hall to get a large coffee and then start hunting for treasure. my first stop is almost always at clarence's booth (that's him above). i absolutely adore clarence!! he's always one of the first one's set up and clarence ALWAYS has a smile on his face and a hearty belly laugh to accompany any story. he regularly supplies me with wonderful old watches and odd knick-knacks. but even when clarence doesn't have any new stock, a smile from clarence is the best start to the flea market anyone could hope for.
the next few hours involve A LOT of walking and searching and moments of eureka and i treasure every last minute of it. but without fail - my last (and longest) stop of the day is when I visit my favoritest lady in all of Delaware - Miss Jessie (that's her on the left). Jessie is 84 years young and wise beyond her years. Jessie is simply put, a girlfriend of mine. We talk about anything and everything from politics to recipes to flea market gossip and every conversation I have with her is one to be remembered for years to come. When I first started visiting the flea market, I would go to Jessie's booth to browse her amazing collection of vintage jewelry - but now I visit the booth to see Jessie. the jewelry is just an added bonus.
flea market visits have been interrupted the past few months with super frigid weather and time spent moving house...tomorrow it's supposed to rain. BOOOO! so fingers crossed tuesday will be warm and sunny!

5 comments:

Vintage Indie said...

What a nice post! I love good flea markets, I wish there was a good one around here!

High Desert Diva said...

Great post! Flea marketing has been an addiction of mine for years. Sadly, I haven't found a really great one in Oregon. I usually fly down to LA a couple times a year and haunt those fabulous markets.

jewelstreet said...

I wish we had a flea market like that as I LOVE them. As it is I have to settle for auctions on Saturdays.

melroska said...

ooh, i'm so jealous! i wish I were shopping at the flea market right now instead of stuck at my desk! your flea market looks much nicer than the one in oakland.

tate said...

it really is a fun place to go - it's quite small but once in a while overflowing with goodness. the people are so friendly too which is a big draw. i forgot to mention my FAVORITE food item that they sell in the Amish food hall - a soft pretzel stick stuffed with a scrambled egg, cheese, and a choice of bacon or sausage. to DIE for yummy!!!